Homeschool and enlisting
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homeschool and enlisting

Ok, I am homeschooled and I am planning on enlisting and I just turned 17. I went to talk to a recruiter today and he said something about me having to make a minimum of 50 of the ASVAB to even enlist. He said it was because homeschool is considered a GED to the Marines. Is it different If I am doing homeschool through a church school? They said it would be an accredited diploma. They also told me that on the diploma it would say HS diploma on it not GED. So, Is he telling the truth about the diploma? That homeschool is considered a GED to them? I have been wanting to enlist for about 3 years now and I am finally old enough. I just hope this homeschool thing doesn't hold me back.

I also think he said that I couldn't be in DEP until i get a diploma. Is that true?

If your diploma will be truly accredited, then you are no different than someone who went to a mainstream high school. It's on you to prove that you're on your way to that diploma.

Bring in the documentation and whatever verification you have on your progress. Otherwise, he may see you as too young and difficult to enlist right now. He may have other candidates that need and deserve more of his attention.

Anyone else?

As rvillac2 said, show your recruiter the documentation and go from there. You may need to get something signed off by the Board of Education or whomever else handles homeschool cases in your district.

Also, don't lose focus. If this is something you truly want then go for it. Get yourself in shape, keep on the recruiters until they tell you to go away, and get all your ducks in order. Best thing to do is start a file folder with a check-list of all the documents you need to provide to the recruiter and check them off as you acquire them. Start working on the IST and the PFT if you haven't already.

As for DEPing, that shouldn't hold you back, but it is at the discretion of the recruiter. They have to have you through a certain amount of paperwork, if not all of it before you can DEP, otherwise it's a waste of your time and theirs, and they have little to no time to waste.

That all from me for now.

Thanks.
    I am going through a private school basically. Just doing the private school classes at home and on a computer. He said that its basically a GED and it might hold me back.

Get the credentials of the school, or have a school official put on official school letterhead information about the school and that you will be recieving what will equate to a high-school diploma. You may still have to wait until you get it and can produce it for him but if the diploma is recognized by the BoE as a legit diploma, then you will be good to go.

Is this a dumb question since no one is posting?

What do you mean no one is posting? You got the same answer from a Sergeant and Staff Sergeant. What else are you expecting?
    The other Marines may not have anything else to add.

I know. I was just hoping someone that was homeschooled and has joined the Marines would be in the forum.

Here's another response! We home school our 15 year old son....What's the Corps problem with GED's? I don't get it we are at War....My son's going in a couple of years, that's all he want's....We'll make it happen one way or the other

The recruiter said that its harder to get in with a GED. He said it would be harder for me to get it. He also said something about me not getting into DEP until i finish homeschool. Does anyone know if thats true.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrandt19
    The recruiter said that its harder to get in with a GED. He said it would be harder for me to get it. He also said something about me not getting into DEP until i finish homeschool. Does anyone know if thats true.
    It is harder to get in with a GED because they only let a small percentage in. A GED also needs a certain minimum of college credit courses to qualify.

Without proper documentation, there is no way to tell your actual grade level as a home schooler. He can only DEP people in that are within 1 year of graduating and he cannot determine that without documentation (which is why the SSgt and I told you to bring what you have in).

Let's be clear, a GED is not the same as a home school accredited diploma. An accredited diploma is treated the same as any other.

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak
    Here's another response! We home school our 15 year old son....What's the Corps problem with GED's? I don't get it we are at War....My son's going in a couple of years, that's all he want's....We'll make it happen one way or the other
    People with GEDs have, on average, less scholastic aptitude than HS grads. (GED'ers can argue with me all you want, but facts is facts. Sorry if the truth hurts.)
    Scholastic aptitude is a strong indicator of their success in MOS school. That's why we require more from the GEDers.

rvillac2 i know its not the same as a HS diploma. The thing is i been to public school until school got out on may 22. Since then i got transferred to homeschool. So i am only doing homeschool for my senior year. Also i appreciate the answers your giving. This is just like a dream of mine.

Thread Information